The HVN Strategic Expansion Plan
will allow New Haven, East Haven, and our surrounding communities to thrive:
PROVIDING ECONOMIC OPPORTUNITIES FOR WORKERS AND SMALL BUSINESSES:
High quality job creation is the best way to turn the corner from the COVID pandemic and bring our economy back. Expanding HVN will support local union workers and small businesses, bringing in new jobs and generating new business activity that will directly benefit the New Haven and East Haven communities and lift the regional economy.
- Expanding HVN would create up to 11,000 jobs in southern Connecticut, including 1,000 construction jobs.
- The investment of more than $100 million in HVN’s expansion will be done with project-labor agreements. This benefits local union construction workers by ensuring they are paid fairly for their work and the entire community by eliminating costly delays due to shortages of skilled workers or labor conflicts.
- Expanding HVN will lead to $47 million in state and local taxes which will protect and expand local programs and services that are critical to the community.
Providing More Destinations:
Expanding HVN will allow passengers to travel to additional destinations—and increase nonstop service—increasing tourism and economic activity for local businesses.
- Expanding HVN will allow carriers to offer nonstop service to additional destinations, connecting New Haven to more of the country.
- Expanding HVN will provide passengers with the ability to fly directly to more places from an airport close to home, while maintaining the convenience they currently enjoy.
Safety has always been HVN’s top priority. The airport is committed to ensuring the safety not only of airport passengers, but also those who live in the surrounding community or visit the area. The renovation will include improvements to safety for customers and community members, allowing them to feel even safer—whether they’re taking flights from our airport or simply getting around nearby.
- Expanding HVN will help mitigate traffic on local roads and improve infrastructure which will enhance safety for local pedestrians.
- Expanding HVN will improve safety on the take-off and landing of flights.
IN THE NEWS:
- Press Release: The Spirit of The Havens Takes Off: Avelo Airlines Launches East Coast Service with First Nonstop Flight from Southern Connecticut to Florida
- News Clip: Avelo Airlines Debuts First Flight From Tweed-New Haven Airport
- News Clip: Avelo Airlines takes flight from Tweed New Haven to Orlando – and soon to other Florida cities
- News Clip: Avelo Air inaugural flight from Tweed to take off from New Haven Wednesday
- News Clip: Nonstop flights from Tweed to Florida officially underway